Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Unicorn Dancer: A Review


The Unicorn DancerThe Unicorn Dancer by Rhondi Vilott
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book really deserved one star. I gave it two because I really did like the characters. That was the only part of this book that showed any promise. Maybe it was the editing that bothered me the most, or rather the lack thereof. Typos were rampant, the typeset was off rather often leaving huge white space...

like that, not to mention no one seemed to tell the author of the writing mistakes. This author did not describe nearly enough. In a fictitious world with characters and objects that we readers have never encountered in real life, there absolutely must be huge amounts of description in order for a picture of the author's world to come to our mind's eye. I got lost in conversations often, as I couldn't track which character was saying what with the overuse of pronouns. Not to mention the lack of proper use of white space and chapter breaks. The author would jump between time and space with neither white space, nor a chapter break nor anything else to signal the change, except suddenly the reader is catapulted into a conversation with people that are supposed to be hundreds of miles away from the people that were speaking in the previous paragraph. That all pales in comparison that I had hoped to at least be rewarded for my toil through this horrendous novel with a decent ending. Nope. Didn't even get to see how the final battle played out. Just that it occurred. Pick something else to quench your thirst for fantasy adventure.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment