Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Library

I've been meaning to get over the public library to sign up for a card. Finally did it today!

I know no one cool goes to the library for funsies. But since when have I ever been cool? Is the word "cool" even cool anymore? I have no idea.

However, if the library wants to have a chance to have "cool" people there, the library needs a make over. By "cool" people, I mean Generation X and Y ... the 20-early 40s crowd. When I go to the library, this age group is completely missing. Also, when I say "library" I'm talking every library I've ever been in-- small, medium and large public libraries, university libraries, church libraries. Being from this age group, I think I might could speak to this, even though I wouldn't call myself "cool." The people in this age group that do read, I usually see at Barnes and Noble instead of the library. Why?

1) Comfy chairs. I have been in ONE library that had comfortable lazy boy type chairs and couches to sit in. All the rest are those horrible, make-your-butt-go-numb wooden chairs or if you're lucky, a molded plastic one. When I want to sit and read, I want to be comfortable! Ideally, I'd like a blanket as well as a comfy chair, but I'd rather supply my own blanket for sanitary purposes. I realize these chairs are expensive, which is probably why no public library invests in them. BUT, if you want your patrons to stay a while and really utilize everything you've got, you have to make them comfortable.

2) Food is allowed. Many Barnes and Nobles have a Starbucks or some other coffee shop joined in the building with them. What goes better with a good book than a cup of joe or a fragrant tea in my case? Nothing. That's the answer to that question. Add a muffin or scone, oh I'd be in literary heaven for hours on end. Maybe have tile floors instead of carpet for easy clean up? Or also require the coffee shop to put lids on all the drinks?

3) Decor. Every library I've been in is always some shade of beige or gray or straight from the 80s. For heaven's sake, paint is such a cheap way to make a space feel more lively. No one young and hip is going to spend time in a place that feels like it's sucking the life right out of them. What I think would be interesting would get local up and coming artists to to paint murals on the walls. What up and coming person wouldn't love to have a piece of theirs on permanent display in a public place? And since they're not huge yet, surely they won't charge huge sums... maybe enough for supplies, or maybe make it a donation?

4) The staff speak to you and are often roaming to assist you. I know that technology is a wonderful thing, but when you look up the books on a computer and then check them out on a computer too, the individual connection with staff on the minimum at best, none at worst. I know many people don't mind, but shesh, just say hi when I walk in the door. Don't just sit behind the desk and wait for me to come looking for you; come ask if I need help if I've got that glazed over eyes look. I'm not stupid enough to think that with all the automations, the librarians don't do anything anymore, but please have some human interaction here!

5) Very few signs. I realize that libraries and often book stores/coffee shops are place to get information about things that are going on locally, but there is a designated place to get this information. In the library, this information is often repeated over and over and over again around every corner you turn. Advertisements don't count as decor. Sorry.

6) Attitude. Working in the semi-controlled chaos that is the medical field, the way the librarians post up rules all over the place and are so stoic (Maybe the stoicism act comes from never talking to the patrons?) makes me laugh. The customers at the book store aren't running up and down the aisles or turning cart wheels in the lobby. Why do civilized people have to be constantly reminded to behave at the library with signs? Perhaps monitors are appropriate in the children's area or in university libraries to give "the look", but generally, people know to be quiet in the book world.

7) Movies. Ok, Barnes and Noble doesn't have movies, but most libraries have at least some movie options. They're usually 3-5 years old at the newest. Get with the program! We want newer movies! And this may be pushing it, but no one rents physical movies anymore. We do digital movies and tv shows. I have NEVER seen a library with a digital movie selection. Maybe that's not available yet. Invention idea? The library I went into today had one shelf for fiction movies. I mean ONE 1 foot x 3 foot space which held about 20 options. Really? That's it? The rest was all non-fiction. Or maybe it's time to say uncle in the movies domain. Let the current digital movie kings take that part of the business and cut your loses. Get that can of paint instead?

8) Magazines. I saw one of the magazines I like to read at the library. One. And it was shelved incorrectly.

9) User friendly and appealing website. The library's functions... usually, and that's it. There's nothing pretty to look at. Many libraries have joined the Facebook and/or Twitter phenomenons. Maybe keep those and the website up to date?

Libraries are a dying institution. The above includes the at least some of the reasons I think libraries are dying. I realize "public" means funded by taxes and therefore limited funds. Can't we use those funds more wisely? At some point investing in more materials is dumb when no one's using them.

I must say one positive: the library has digital library books for loan. This is the library of the future. In the futuristic library, I see no books at all. Ok, maybe collector's type. What I see is more of a place to seek knowledge-- meeting rooms with informal classes, digital books and movies and audio, comfy places to partake of these materials and plenty of computers. No shelves what so ever. Very different, but still a literary haven.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete