Saturday, August 25, 2012

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: A Book Review


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not my first time reading this of course. It's just hard to put a good adventure down and leave the wonderful characters in their world to themselves. The first time I attempted to read this I think I was 14 or 15 (I know, a little late to the party as far as avid readers my age go. I was still in my "modern books are crap" stage.) I was actually listening to it on CD, but gave up because the CDs were scratched up. Picked it up again to read through the entire series before the final several movies came out in college. This one isn't my favorite in the series, the Prisoner of Azkaban is; however, I must say that this is a great introduction into a new world. Anyone wanting to write fantasy fiction, please, please, PLEASE take a note from Ms. Rowling. It seems like every fantasy book I've read lately doesn't have nearly enough description. If the reader does not live in the world in which your book is set, you MUST describe anything and everything of importance so that the reader understands somewhat how the world works and looks like. Rowling does a spectacular job of describing through Harry's learning of the new world right along with the reader. It's so beautifully done and woven into the story line! Ok, enough drivel from me. Love HP!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment