Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Book Thief: A Book Review


The Book ThiefThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It took me a while to really get into this one, but by the end, I was in tears. I (eventually) fell in love with the characters. They were a little rough in the beginning, but as the story went on, their personalities deepened. The storyline itself is beautifully woven and accessible to any age group. The main character begins the story at 9 or 10 and ages a few years in the book. I would say the book would be appropriate for a middle schooler/pre-teen. However, the writing is beautifully descriptive, but not annoyingly so like Dickens. What I think truly makes this book unique is that the narrator is Death. I haven't run across any other book with a personified Death being a main character, much less the narrator. I suppose it is rather appropriate that as I read along, I often forgot he was there telling the story. Overall, a good read, but just shy of amazing and making the favorites list.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. It is a triumph of the literary discipline... one of the most unusual and compelling Australian novels of modern times.

    ReplyDelete