Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Art of Being Still

Read this article on Zen Habits blog today. I can't currently see it as the website has taken an early hiatus in the SOPA/PIPA protest, so I'll give a summary and then address the practical "how to" aspect. Basically, it talks of the importance of taking a few moments to just sit still quietly everyday.

Did you do that today? How about yesterday? Plans for that tomorrow?

I would be willing to bet that most people don't have a habit of stilling themselves for a moment of nothingness. Go ahead. Try it.

First, you're probably thinking, "Where am I going to find a quiet place?!" Our world is noisy! There's always music or a tv on in the background or a kid crying or an e-mail or text message that just can't wait. The first step it being ok with walking away from all that for just a moment. Don't worry; it will still be there when you get back.

Now, once you're ok with that, where is this quiet space? My favorite quiet places are out in the middle of nowhere. For example, the back trails in my favorite park which few people travel... or some country roads. For many though, those types of spaces are not available due to time or environment, or perhaps you don't know any right off the top of your head. No matter. There is another place where just about anyone can be utterly alone for a few moments. How about the bathroom? That's where I get my daily quiet time. That's why I take so long to shower; I organize myself and think in there! Toilets work great too. If your bathroom can't be a safe haven... say your kids will just follow you in there, then go to a store around the corner and borrow their toilet. (After locating an appropriate sitter for the kiddo of course.)

Now that you've located your spot, close your eyes. Take a moment to just breathe. Slowly... in through the nose and out through your mouth. Several times...

Once you've slowed down your thought processes, try to eliminate thinking all together to meditate for a moment. This part is the hardest for busy minds. If it helps, picture a large, white, blank piece of copy paper floating down on top of your mind's eye until all you see is whiteness. Or perhaps try repeating a mantra-- a word or phrase that brings calmness to your mind. For many words like love or peace may work or a favorite quote or Bible verse. You may only be able to achieve thinking of nothing for a few moments at first, but with continued practice, you'll be able to sit for several minutes at a time content to think of nothing.

The above step is often skipped over, but I think it is very important once you start thinking again. Now come back to your mind. With a fresh mind, I often find I can see solutions to my problems more clearly and organize myself more precisely. That's what you can do now as you think. Sometimes I like to have pen and paper to write down what I think, sometimes it's nice to just brainstorm freely.

Once you're done thinking, or more than likely, your time has run out or in my case, the water is running cold, slowly begin to reintegrate yourself back into your day. Begin to think about those things that you walked away from and what requires your attention next. Now get going and act on those thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this reminder, Bria! I think this is so difficult to do especially since I'm a complete busybody. However, it's in these moments when we stop and listen are when we can hear God best :) *Breathe in... Breathe out...*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need a strong endurance to be still like that.

    ReplyDelete